Last time I was in Melbourne I stayed with my friend Bel. Bel has always been a great cook and has recently started look at ways to make her meaty dishes vego. Or, it may have just been because I was visiting, either way, win!
Bel’s stuffed zucchinis are usually made with mince meat. On this occasion we used vegetarian mince and added grated veggies.
Served on its own you will want one zucchini (two halves) per person. We only needed half per person as we served it with eggplant cannelloni and BBB salad.
Ingredients (serves 4, or 8 if served with other dishes)
- 4 zucchinis (large-ish)
- 2 carrots
- 4 medium mushrooms
- 300g vegetarian mince
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 100g fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon powdered chilli
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 4 bay leaves
- mixed dried or fresh herbs to taste
- salt to taste
- chopping board and knife
- casserole dish (oven safe)
- Cut each zucchini in half length ways. Scoop out the flesh (keep the flesh as you will add it to the sauce). Place in the casserole dish
- Prepare the veggies. Finely chop the garlic, grate the carrot, chop the zucchini flesh, and finely dice the mushrooms
- Crush the garlic (or cheat and use minced garlic from a jar)
- Combine all ingredients (except zucchini halves, cheese & wine) in the saucepan and simmer for five minutes
- Add the red wine and simmer until reduced
- Scoop the sauce into the zucchinis, top with mozzarella and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes or until the cheese is golden.