Vegetable bake is tasty, easy to make and you can use whatever vegetables are on hand or in season. When I first moved out of home, my mum popped by one day to drop of a vegetable bake. I was happy – free food and a baking dish (I still haven’t returned it!).
This post will show you how to make a five layer vegetable bake with a couple lessons learnt tips along the way.
Start by gathering your veggies, I chose to use potato, sweet potato, zucchini, eggplant and pumpkin. Other veggies that would work well include beetroot, carrot, cauliflower, turnip, swede, or basically any vegetable that is easy to cut into thin slices.
Preparing the veggies
Some veggies will need peeling whilst others are fine with the skin left on. I peeled the potatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkin, but not the eggplant or zucchini.
Tip: think about how long each veggie takes to cook and what the implications will be if that veggie is undercooked in your final dish.
- Potato – takes a long time to cook, will ruin the dish if crunchy. I chose to microwave the slices of potato first to ensure they would be cooked (I learnt this the hard way and strongly recommend pre-cooking)
- Sweet potato – same as potato
- Eggplant – is better over than undercooked. I grilled the eggplant slices. See grilled eggplant if you need instructions.
- Zucchini – cooks quickly, didn’t pre-cook
- Pumpkin – cooks quickly, didn’t pre-cook
Layering the veggies
Spray your baking dish with oil and begin assembling. It doesn’t really matter what order you layer the veggies in, but have a think about textures and flavours as you layer.
Each layer of vegetables is accompanied by a sprinkle of salt and parmesan cheese. I started with sweet potato, followed by potato, eggplant, zucchini and finally pumpkin. You may like to add herbs or spices between layers.
Outcome: This veggie slice was tasty and it made for easy, quick lunches at work.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 3 medium potatoes
- 400g kent pumpkin
- 1 medium sweet potato
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Chopping board and knife (to slice veggies)
- Plate and gladwrap (to microwave potato and sweet potato)
- Sandwich press (to grill the eggplant)
- Baking dish (22cm x 22xm x 7cm)
- Spray oil
- Peel and thinly slice the potato and sweet potato. Cooking in a single layer in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Thinly slice the eggplant and grill (see grilled eggplant)
- Thinly slice the pumpkin and zucchini.
- Spray the baking dish with oil and cover with a layer of sweet potato. Put any left-over sweet potato to the side. Sprinkle with salt and parmesan cheese.
- Repeat with potato, eggplant, zucchini and then pumpkin.
- Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for one hour, turn up to 180 degrees and bake for a further 15 minutes.
Chances are you will have leftover veggies. Don’t throw them out, they will make a delicious pie. I will explain how in my next post.