Vegemite is a right of passage for Australian children. We learn early on how to spread it – lots of butter and a small amount of vegemite. I use to work at Baker’s Delight and one of my favourite ways to enjoy vegemite was in their Cheesymite Scrolls. In this post I have a go at making my own.
Many years ago I spent twelve months backpacking through Europe. Early on in this adventure I learnt that the Spanish only put sweet spreads on bread. I had SO much fun telling them that vegemite is like nutella in Australia and we spread it really thick, and then watching their facial expression as they bit into a piece of toast absolutely smothered in vegemite.
Back to making vegemite scrolls. Start in the morning by making a sponge. Mix 2 cups of sourdough starter and 1 cup of water, then add 2 cups of flour, mix again and leave until the evening.
Once the sponge has developed (approximately 8 hours) add 2½-3 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Knead with bread hooks for 20 minutes or until the dough is glossy and elastic.
Turn the dough out on to a well-floured bench and knead, adding flour, until it is no longer sticky. Divide the dough in two. On greaseproof paper roll each piece of dough into a rectangle approximately 1cm thick.
Mix 1 tablespoon of vegemite with 2 tablespoons of water. Use the back of a spoon to spread the vegemite and water mixture on the dough.
Sprinkle the dough with cheese and roll up loosely.
Slice the roll into inch thick rounds and place on a greased oven tray to prove overnight.
Bake in the oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes of until golden.
Outcome: These scrolls were delicious, a really good balance between bread, cheese and vegemite
Ingredients: 2C sourdough starter, 5C flour, 1T sugar, 1t salt, 1T vegemite, cheese
Equipment: bowl, electric bread hooks, small bowl, greaseproof paper, rolling pin, basting brush, oven tray, oven
- Make the sponge – mix 2C sourdough starter with 1C water, then add 2C flour. Leave for 8 hours.
- To the sponge add 2½-3C flour, 1T sugar and 1t salt. Mix with electric bread hooks for 20 mins or until glossy and elastic.
- Turn the dough out on to a well-floured bench and knead, adding flour, until the dough is no longer sticky. Divide into two portions
- On greaseproof paper roll each piece of dough into a rectangle approximately 1cm thick.
- In a small bowl mix 1T vegemite with 2T hot water. Spread the vegemite and water mixture on to the dough and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Loosely roll up the dough. Cut into inch thick rounds, place on a greased oven tray, cover and prove overnight.
- Back in the oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes until golden.