Pie. Delicious pie. Delicious apple pie! This is cheats pie because it’s made with frozen shortcrust pastry. I did stew the apples myself though!
To make two small apple pies you will need two pie tins, two large apples (maybe 3?), one sheet of shortcrust pastry, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and one tablespoon of brown sugar.
Start by stewing the apples. I made a big batch of stewed apples, but if you only want to make enough for this recipe two or three large apples should be about right.
Dice the apples (discard the core) and put in a saucepan with a sprinkle of cinnamon , 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and ½ cup of water. Bring the apples to the boil and simmer until they are cooked and the liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool.
While the apples are cooling, prepare the pastry. Put a pie tin top-down in one corner of the pastry sheet, move the tin so it is 1cm in from both edges and cut a circle 1cm larger than the pie tin. Do the same in the opposite corner of the pastry. Do not discard the remaining pastry.
Push the pastry into the pie tin and blind bake.
Blind bake means to bake pastry without the filling. This process seals the surface of the pastry and results in a crisp pastry case. To blind bake cover the pastry with greaseproof paper and weigh down with uncooked rice or beans. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes. Remove the rice/beans and greaseproof paper and bake for a further 5 minutes until light golden.
Fill the pie shells with stewed apple.
Thinly slice the remaining pastry and arrange to form a lattice on top of the pie. To form the lattice lay five slices of pastry vertically on top of the apple pie. For the horizontal start by folding back the 2nd and 4th vertical slices, lay down the middle horizontal slice and reposition the 2nd and 4th verticals. Weave in the remaining horizontal slices.
Equipment: saucepan, chopping board, knife, 2 small pie tins, oven
- Stew the apples. Dice apples and stew in a saucepan with 1t cinnamon, 1T brown sugar and ½ cup water until the apples are soft and the liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool
- Prepare the pastry. Place one pie tin in the corner of the pastry, move in so it is 1cm from both edges. Cut a circle 1cm larger than the tin. Repeat in the opposite corner with the other pie tin. Push the pastry into the pie tin and blind bake (see above if you need instructions to blind bake).
- Slice the remaining pastry into thin strips.
- Fill the pie shell with stewed apples and arrange the strips of pastry on top to form a lattice.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius until the pastry is golden.
Want to use the leftover pastry?
I formed it into a ball, rolled it into a thin square and sprinkled with brown sugar. I cut the square in half and made two ‘apple pie ravioli’. Unfortunately the edges came apart when they baked!