Grilled eggplant, blue cheese and rocket pizza is amazing. It is rich and delicious! Especially when you make your own pizza base and grow your own rocket.
I strongly recommend making your own pizza bases. I recently made sourdough pizza bases and they were super tasty. There are also recipes online for making traditional (yeast) pizza bases.
When making eggplant pizza it is important to first grill the eggplant. You can buy already grilled eggplant, but if you have a little bit of time it is definitely worth using fresh eggplant and grilling it yourself.
How to grill your own eggplant
Start by slicing the eggplant as shown below.
Next, salt the eggplant. To do this spread the eggplant out on the chopping board and sprinkle with salt and leave for 20 minutes. Pat with paper towel to remove the moisture, then flip and salt the other side of the eggplant slices. Salting the eggplant will draw out the moisture and remove the bitterness.
Once both sides of the eggplant have been salted rinse with water and pat dry. You can then grill the eggplant in a frypan or on the barbeque. Personally, I use my sandwich press for this step because it is quick.
Once the eggplant has cooled cut it into 0.5-1cm wide slices.
The pizza itself is very easy. Spread the pizza base with tomato paste add some cheese then add the pieces of eggplant and blue cheese, drizzle from olive oil and bake.
Once the pizza is baked top with fresh rocket.
Ingredients: pizza base, tomato paste, grilled eggplant, blue cheese, mozzarella, olive oil and rocket
Equipment: chopping board, oven tray, oven
- Prepare the eggplant
- If grilling your own eggplant – slice the eggplant, salt it, then rinse and grill (I use a sandwich press to grill it). Once the eggplant has cooled slice thinly
- If using pre-grilled – thinly slice the pieces of eggplant
- Spread the tomato paste on the pizza base, then sprinkle a think layer of cheese
- Add the eggplant and blue cheese to the pizza
- Drizzle olive oil and bake
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with fresh rocket.